The stone facades of a building are covered by discontinuous facings or tiling. This protects the building from inclement weather conditions and endows it with enhanced resistance.
Regarding the type of facade, we can distinguish two groups: natural stone facades and artificial stone ones.
Natural Stone facades
In this case, the natural stone pieces that cover the building usually have the same size and thickness, with a minimum of between 30 to 50 millimetres.
The method of securing the natural stone to the building is by means of steel parts, which have to be able to withstand the forces transmitted from the stone facing.
Types of natural stoner for facades
These natural stones are as follows:
Importan points when selecting natural stone
The factors to take into account when choosing the natural stone we are going to employ on the façade are as follows:
- Resistance to the various atmospheric conditions (rain, wind and contamination etc).
- Maintenance and cleaning
Artificial stone facades
On the other hand, there is the possibility of using artificial stone of façades. This type of stone is noteworthy because of its great variety of colours, forms and composites.
Difference between natural and artificial stone on facades
- Cost: the artificial stone is usually cheaper with respect to natural stone
- Variety just as we stated in the previous point, artificial stone offers a wider variety of colours and forms. The combinations are therefore greater.
- Maintenance: artificial stone does not require maintenance.
- Duration: in general, natural stone lasts longer.
- Finish quality: natural stone is outstanding in presenting high quality, in addition to being a unique product that contributes distinction.